Thursday, October 8, 2009

Amazing Women

Believe it or not, I’ve added another hat to my life – Daisy Scout leader. My son has been in Cub Scouts for three years and loves it, so my daughter has been waiting patiently for her turn. I thought it would be much easier for me to be the leader than ask another mom to adapt everything for Sami. Luckily, I have a neighbor who will be my co-leader if something happens (gee, like a break) and I can’t be there.

The good little student that I am, I’ve been reading about the Girl Scouts for the past week. The founder is Juliette “Daisy” Gordon Low. Infections made her mostly deaf, but she used that excuse to never take “No” for an answer – literally pretending she didn’t hear someone’s protest of not volunteering. Started in England as Girl Guides, the program was adapted from the Boy Scouts. Not only did the girls learn to tie knots and survive in the outdoors, but also how to be proper ladies with manners and kindness for others. Daisy was from Savannah, so she brought the Girl Guides program to the US in March of 1912, funding the project in both countries with her own money.

This started me thinking about all the amazing women in history that I don’t know about. My education in school was most male centered. Not that it was bad, but lacking representation of ½ of the world population made it incomplete. I did some searching and came up with a small list of women who have made a huge difference, but not always everyday-household names.

If there are women who you think should be known for their greatness, tell us! Our sons and daughters need good role models in every shape, form, skill, talent, and country. This list is in no way all encompassing as there are just too many to name, but it’s a good jumping point….

Mary Kay Ash
Clara Barton
Elizabeth Blackwell
Helena Petrovna Blavatsky
Olympia Brown
Dorothea Dix
Mary Dyer
Sylvia Earle
Marian Wright Edelman
Temple Grandin
Hypatia of Alexandria
Helen Hunt Jackson
Harriet Jacobs
Pope Joan
Ada Byron Lovelace
Juliette “Daisy” Gordon Low
Sybilla Masters
Rigoberta Menchu
Maria Montessori
Lady Deborah Moody
Christiane Northrup
Ellen Ochoa
Huda Shaarawi
Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
Sally L. Smith
Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Merlin Stone
Niara Sudarkasa
Mary Church Terrell
Madame CJ Sarah Breedlove Walker

For a more extensive list to search, discover, and share with your kids go to www.distinguishedwomen.com .


Wish me luck with this new endeavor. And give me a shout if you are in need of some cookies :)
Heather

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on becoming a scout leader! My mom did this for me when I was in Brownies as a little girl. The camping trips were my favorite part! Good luck and I hope Sami has a bunch of fun too!

    ReplyDelete