How many of you are dragging through your day? It’s been a hell of a week for me and I’m exhausted, yet there is no time or place to just hole up and rest. Love my husband and kids, but I retreat to the library for my relax/think time each week. Books don’t talk back or ask questions, everyone is quiet by default, and my decisions aren’t required or even wanted….so it’s a feeling of being invisible.
But reality always returns or some weeks I’m running too many errands to linger in the library. When stressed, your body shuts down stuff it doesn’t think necessary to run. It also stores fat to be sure you have plenty of fuel. This is why you are eating less but still gaining weight and your middle (tummy, hips, thighs, and butt) is expanding. How rotten is that?
When I’m tired I crave fast food….McDonalds Fish sandwich with extra tartar sauce or Wendy’s Baja wrap. Fast food is my crutch because I don’t have to fix it and my tongue wants the carbs. Apples just don’t satisfy. As I eat I get this calming feeling wash over me (darn those additive chemicals). But soon my stomach revolts, and my brain crashes, making me more tired than before….and I’ve added 20 more cellulite dimples….all for the fact that what I really need is some peace and rest to rejuvenate.
We all know getting more sleep is not a viable option or we’d be doing it already. Here’s some simple tips of what you can do to help with the daily energy drain :
1. Get a complete set of lab tests done. You could be low on iron or estrogen, or high on other stuff (don’t we wish sometimes). If your natural body chemicals are off you can’t be balanced anywhere else in your life. Sorry, no getting around this one or faking it until you make it.
2. Boost your vitamins and omega’s. You need more than the average joe because you are outputting more all day. You want to go as RAW as you can to get the most benefit. If your body isn’t absorbing the needed vitamins, then it’s a waste of time and money. There’s been plenty of studies of sewer systems that are loaded with multivitamins that have just passed right through our bodies.
3. Stop dieting! If you are eating diet foods you are adding more nasty additives and disgusting preservatives to your body….many are as bad as junk food. Natural foods with fat and flavor (real, pure butter for instance or Breyers Ice Cream) fill you up so you can eat less and feel fuller longer. This helps with giving you a constant energy source. Diets give me migraines!
4. Chocolate is my secret weapon. You want the darkest chocolate to get the flavonoids (disease fighters) to pull you through. Like a glass of wine, a small bit works wonders. Here, more is not better. One or two squares a day can do the trick of boosting you a little in the afternoon.
5. If salt is what you need, combine it with some protein, like peanut butter/cheese/tuna on crackers, or popcorn and nuts, or pita chips with hummus. Drink loads of water to balance out the retention the salt will naturally do.
6. Stretch your whole body. Really reach your arms, legs, neck, point and flex your hands and feet, to all sides. You don’t have to do a whole yoga routine at the office, but keep the circulation going so the blood can reach your brain and work to your advantage. I wish I could bring my inverse table to work!!!
7. Try spraying Zum Mist or Arbonne’s Rejuvenating Mist. Just breathing in their spicy and citrus scents wakes you right up.
8. Because I don’t wear foundation, I can splash a little cold water on my face for a quick shock.
Here’s to you and your energy this week! I know I’ve been struggling to find little boosts throughout the days. I’m very much looking forward to sleeping tonight (fingers crossed!!) If you have any healthy energy secrets, be sure to pass them along.