Thursday, March 18, 2010

Welcome Spring

Can you feel that Spring is just around the corner? Besides the fact that we just celebrated St. Patrick’s Day, Cesar’s death on the Ides of March, and Easter is around the corner. Walking out of Core Training last week was a new experience because the sun was rising….even with Daylight Savings Time jolting me ahead an hour. Since I started my workout classes January 4th, I’d arrive and leave in the dark, breathing the frigid air. But this week has been different. I walk in through the dark but walk out into the light. I’ve moved down from my “Nanook of the North” 20* below 0 winter coat to a lined/padded 22* above 0 sweatshirt from Old Navy. Things just feel lighter; physically, mentally, and spiritually. (Okay, Saturday’s forecast is for an ugly winter storm. This is the Midwest and our weather has ADHA. I’m enjoying the light sun until then.)

I want to clean and organize. Gather the house and life clutter and recycle. I want to start fresh and move forward without all the past junk holding me down.

I really think it’s time to pull out one of my favorite books, “Throw Out Fifty Things” by Gail Blanke. (http://www.throwoutfiftythings.com) Gail is great at helping you finally part with the psychological side of your physical clutter. And don’t kid yourself, you’ve got plenty, everyone does. Your past is what makes you who you are today, but it doesn’t have a say in who you are tomorrow.

So, what are you doing to welcome Spring? It’s coming and it’s a great time to start fresh on something new.

Heather

3 comments:

  1. If there is a good thing about moving every three years in the military, it's that you have to "clean house" at least that often. My wife and I do what we call the "reality check" on everything in the house, and end up throwing out a LOT of stuff. We had a garage sale last weekend and saw a lot of stuff go away... and I'm not missing any of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to declutter! Thank you for the Throw Out 50 things link and for your hopeful reminder that with the change of spring we can also change ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... I'll have to check out that book! I've been cleaning like a mad woman this week! We've had beautiful warm weather here in the Northeast, a huge change since just a few weeks ago we were the target of a nasty blizzard of historic propotions! I'm loving my spring cleaning this year! It feels so great to clear it all out with the windows open and the fresh air flowing in freely! Ahhh spring!

    ReplyDelete